Matt and I have been touched by the song, Always Enough, by Casting Crowns. The song has powerful lyrics – lyrics that have spoken right to us and pierced our hearts. This song has taken on greater meaning the past couple of weeks because…
Matt and I are overjoyed to announce that we have been matched! Our baby is due on September 19th!
We’ve been working with five agencies throughout our adoption journey – in Georgia, Arizona, Kansas, and two in Utah. One of the ones we hadn’t heard much from turned out to be the agency who called saying a birth mother had chosen us! When we had our profile shown, we didn’t think much about it. We were in the process of talking with a couple of other agencies about potential situations, so there was a lot going on.
I received a call on April 12th saying that we had been chosen. I was at work when I got the call right before a staff meeting. I don’t remember much from that meeting at all! I called Matt and got to tell him we had been chosen. We set up a time on Wednesday, April 14th to talk with the our birth mother, L. Fortunately, we had work and children’s choir to keep us occupied until the time for our call – 7 p.m. Our case worker facilitated the conversation. Matt and I weren’t nervous…it was more an excited, oh my goodness, we’re about to talk to a birth mother emotion! The conversation could not have gone any better with L. We all connected, and the conversation flowed smoothly. The only problem was that it wasn’t long enough! Matt and I could have talked with her all night. After the conversation, our case manager called L to see how things went. We loved her, and she loved us! L told our case manager she wanted to move forward with us! We took the night to pray and talk through things. The next day (Thursday) we called to say we wanted to move forward also!
At that time, we didn’t know if it was a boy or girl. L had a scheduled ultrasound on April 19th to find out. Our case manager told us she and L would call after the appointment. Well, Matt and I already had plans to be at beach that weekend for a conference. We were going to head down on Saturday, but quickly changed plans to swing through the Prise to surprise my parents. Matt’s parents were down at the beach for the weekend, we were going to get to surprise them on Saturday.
As we got into the Prise, I called my parents and told them to let us in! They were shocked to see us. We told them we had brought their belated birthday presents to them. The second package they opened contained the game, Memory. Matt and I had created “matches” for them to figure out what was going on…keep in mind, they didn’t know why we were there. After a couple of matches and turning cards over, they began to get wide-eyed! After figuring out what was going on based on the clues, we got to fill in the missing pieces! There were tears, group hugs, and screaming!
The next day, we headed down to Gulf Shores. It worked out nicely that Matt’s parents and sister, brother-in-law, and nephews were down there! We arrange to meet them at a restaurant and planned to do the big reveal there. After chatting and placing our orders, Matt pulled out a present. He told his mother it was an early Mother’s Day gift! As the clues were being turned over, his Dad figured it out, but wouldn’t tell anyone else! Once all the clues were turned over, Matt got to share the great news! More tears and hugs!
I left to come back to work on Monday, April 19th. Matt was there until Wednesday, April 21st. Before I left, I purchased two cards – one that said, it’s a boy, and one that said, it’s a girl. I put them in different colored envelopes so that when I heard from L, I could call Matt and have him open the correct card. I got a call at 3:07 p.m. – I was in the middle of a staff meeting. When my phone rang, everybody got excited – the students and staff knew I was expecting a call! The case manager was on the phone with L – L got to tell me it was a GIRL!!! L and I both were very excited, and I got to talk with her some more about how she was doing. Everything looked great, and the ultrasound went well. After finishing talking with L, I called Matt. At first, I couldn’t get him – he was in a session. However, I quickly called back, and he answered! It was such a joy to get to tell him! Later that night, he told me he didn’t remember much of what was discussed for the rest of the day!
We have gradually begun to spread the word about our match. Please continue to pray for this journey– more specifically for L, our birth mother. Pray for her emotional well being, the baby’s health, and for a continued sense of peace. For us, pray also for a continued sense of peace, as well as patience. I have a feeling this will be a long summer! Matt and I have felt your prayers – thank you for being such faithful prayer warriors!
As I mentioned above, the lyrics to Always Enough have really touched us…
In a dry and weary land Lord,
You are the rain In a sea of shattered ones
Your love comes rushing in
You hold the world within Your hands
And see each tear that falls
Through every fire and every storm
You’re always enough, always enough
Thank you, Lord, for walking through the dry and weary land with us. Thank you for wiping the tears – both sorrowful and joyous – from our eyes. Thank you for being enough.
Your love is peace to the broken
Faith for the widow, hope for the orphan
Strength for the weak
Your love is the anthem of nations
Rings out through the ages
And You’re always enough for me
Thank you, Lord, for providing hope. Hope for all people. Hope for babies who need a home. Hope for mothers unselfishly placing their precious babies for adoption. Thank you for being enough.
You keep my heart in perfect peace
My life is in Your hands
When confusion hides my way
You’re always enough, always enough
Our life is in YOUR hands, Lord. Our precious baby’s life is in YOUR hands, Lord. Thank you, Lord, for an incredible past two weeks – our hearts are at peace. You are always enough. Always.
Your love is peace to the broken
Faith for the widow, hope for the orphan
Strength for the weak
Your love is the anthem of nations
Rings out through the ages
And You’re always enough for me
I rejoice for my Savior reigns
I rejoice for He lives in me God on high,
He has set me free
Worthy is the Lord
Thank you, Lord, for walking through the peaks and valleys with us. We rejoice and give thanks to the Lord! We’ve been chosen and have been matched with a birth mother! Praise the Lord! You are always enough.
I rejoice for my Savior reigns
I rejoice for He lives in me God on high,
He has set me free
Worthy is the Lord
Your love is peace to the broken
Faith for the widow, hope for the orphan
Strength for the weak
Your love is the anthem of nations
Rings out through the ages
And You’re always enough for me
Thank you, Lord, for family who have walked by faith with us. Thank you, Lord, for dear friends who have daily covered us in prayers. Thank you, Lord, for a church family so faithful in encouragement. We rejoice, Lord, for you are always enough.
I rejoice for my Savior reigns
I rejoice for He lives in me God on high,
He has set me free
Worthy is the Lord
In a dry and weary land Lord,
You are the rain
Thank you, Lord, for a connection with a woman who desires to place her child with us. Thank you, Lord, for a woman who is making the most unselfish decision of her life. A decision that will change her life and ours forever.
Habakkuk 2:3 - For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Praise God! When I read the title of this post, I literally burst out crying. My heart is so happy for you guys. I can't express how excited I am for you.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, beautiful post. We are honored to be counted as your friends and can't wait to meet this sweet girl. :)
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post. Your words practically jumped off the page in excitement. I'm overjoyed for you & Matt and can't wait to meet your sweet baby girl!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Kristen
I'm overwhelmed with happiness for you! What a beautiful journey.
ReplyDeleteI have to say this is the best news I have heard in a LONG time! I am so excited for y'all! I can't wait to meet Sweet Baby Girl!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am THRILLED for you and Matt!! I agree with Shealy that this is the best news I've heard in a long time!! Praise the Lord and Congratulations!! I will continue to pray!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy...so prayerful!! This summer...the waiting...the hoops to jump through...are your labor pains. You are a momma, afterall, you know?!
ReplyDeleteWow! So happy for you all!
ReplyDeleteYAHOO!!!! SO excited!!!! Can't wait to meet Baby Girl Dunn!!!!!!!!! Prayers are still coming your way! WOW, God is GREAT!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Melissa and Matt!!!! I am so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteKris
oh guys - my heart is so heavy reading this - remember walk by faither - we'll do it together and get their together with God's hand to guide us - deb
ReplyDeleteMelissa, this is so awesome. So excited for you guys and praying!
ReplyDeleteJennifer